Indoor Men’s crowned come back kings

 1,045 total views

Saturday’s football action saw York’s women’s firsts in indoor football breeze past Lancaster.

York’s dominance in this match began right from the off with captain and number six, Ballentyne leading by example. The hosts’ captain was excellent on the ball creating chances for York left, right and centre. And it was the captain, herself who broke the deadlock in the fifth minute, turning well and placing an excellent shot into the bottom left corner. Shortly after a slight scare, in which Lancaster’s Murphy hit the bar, York scored again – number 15 this time, stroling through the defence to tap in York’s second. Lancaster took their time to get into the game, yet when they finally found some openings, they were thwarted by York’s keeper, who was superb in the first half. From long range shots to near point blank range, York’s keeper was a rock at the back and was an integral part of the home side’s victory.

The second half began like the first, with York’s Ballentyne scoring her second and her team’s third. This seemed to be a wake up call to Lancaster, as the away side finally managed to beat York’s keeper – a simple finish by Lancaster’s Williamson. This led to another goal just seconds later when York’s keeper, who had been brilliant until then, spilt McDivit’s shot. Like so many matches seen at the Roses this year, Lancaster looked as though they might provide a late comeback. However, it was the white rose that prevailed with a flurry of lates goals, including Ballentyne nipping in front of defenders to score two goals, making her total – four and her team’s total – six. Lancaster added a consolation goal near the end but it was too little too late for the visitors in red.

With Lancaster losing 6-3 in the women’s indoor football it was down to the men’s firsts, who did not disappoint. Lancaster men’s firsts showed a master class in the indoor football, but also coming back from a 4-1 score-line. That said, judging by the first five minutes it looked as if York were going to steam roll Lancaster. With three goals in as many minutes, York were dominant in the first ten minutes. With the score at 4-1, Lancaster managed to get a grip of the game with some hard tackling and nice passing. After number 27 got the ball rolling for Lancaster’s comeback, both number 29 and number 24 hit the net to level the scores – a lovely dink and a excellent strike into the top corner respectively. Lancaster then took the lead when Hannity went on a mazy run and finished into the bottom right corner, with the outside of his boot – perhaps his second best goal of the game.

York managed to hold back the floodgates for a moment when number 8 struck a wonderful half volley, from a rebounded shot, past the Lancaster goal keeper. However, in the second half, the floodgates broke again, as Lancaster scored four goals without reply, including Hannity’s second and best goal of the game when, after nice link up play, number 21 crossed the ball for an easy tap in. As the match drew to a close, the game turned into a bad tempered affair as Lancaster’s rather unconventional tackling frustrated York. Though York looked like they may boil over, they did pull one back late on, however, it was not enough to catch Lancaster as the away side went on to add another two goals to seal a spectacular 11-6 victory and a wonderful two points for the red rose.

Although the women’s firsts lost, Saturday’s overall performances proved to be to be extremely encouraging for the Lancaster’s bid to win the Roses. Rest assured, Lancaster’s indoor football certainly proved to be more viewer-friendly than the firsts football on the last day, with a share of the points and 14 goals.


Similar Posts
Latest Posts from