Rowland puts defeat down to missed changes after indoor defeat


Lancaster Men’s 2nds sealed a comfortable victory over their York counterparts.

The only real chance afforded the visitors was a shot that his the crossbar early on, after some hesitant goalkeeping. Eight minutes into the half an hour contest, Simon Thompson scored with a great long range effort to make it 1-0 to Lancaster. Only two minutes later they doubled the lead with another effort from distance, which the keeper should really have kept out. York needed a response, and they gave one by immediately going up and grabbing back a goal, courtesy of a neat finish from Peticolline, who then fluffed a golden opportunity to equalise. In the second half Lancaster started well, and soon restored their two goal advantage, Thompson again firing into the right hand corner of the goal. From that point forward it never looked like York would get back in it, and Griffifths and Whittingham soon effectively finished the game. There was still time for Thompson to seal his hat-trick. A late consolation for York was ruled out, and Lancaster finished 6-1 winners.

Next up was the Women’s 1sts, and they too scored twice early on, with Lancaster’s VP (Sport) Sue Wynes grabbing both the goals, before being denied an impressive first half hat-trick by the base of the post. York then missed a penalty, awarded after Lancaster’s keeper touched the ball outside the penalty area. In the second half York looked a different team, and they soon won another penalty in similar circumstances. This time there was no mistake, and the spot-kick was converted to put the pressure on the home side. In the dying minutes Lancaster had a shot cannon down off the crossbar and onto the line, but it did not cross. Lancaster held on to secure a 2-1 win and another valuable point.

In the final indoor football game, Lancaster Men’s 1sts became the first team to succumb to defeat. York took the lead with a penalty, and scored again soon after. Lancaster looked promising going forward, but lacked a cutting edge in front of goal. Just after half time they did pull one back however, and this lifted the team, who began taking control of possession. An impressive comeback was on the cards when they grabbed an equalizer as the game entered the final third. However, a competitive York side did not collapse, and managed to regain the lead after a quick counter attack. They sealed a 4-2 win minutes later. After the game, injured football captain Lewis Rowland said ‘we missed too many chances today, but we will do better in the outdoor game.’

In the other indoor football matches, played at the Sports Centre, the men’s 3rd team secured an impressive 5-1 win to take the solitary point on offer. The women’s 2nd team did likewise after beating York 3-0.

Similar Posts
Latest Posts from