Vagina Monologues Return

 211 total views

Vagina monologues

 

Directed by Sam Aldridge, produced by Rosalia O’Reilly

Every year on Valentines day the Vagina Monologues are performed by women at Lancaster University to raise money for the V day campaign.

This is a global movement that raises money to help prevent and stop violence against women and girls. All profits made by the play and subsequent fundraising goes to charity, 10% to V day and the other 90% to a charity of the cast and crews’ choice. Last year the play raised just over £3000 and the majority of that went to Preston’s women’s  shelter. Rosalia O’Reilly, VP (Equality, Welfare and Diversity) and this year’s producer of the Vagina Monologues said, “We prefer the money to go to a more local charity rather than a national one. The smaller charities need it more.”

The casting  auditions for the 2013 Vagina  Monologues took place in Week 4. With O’Reilly as producer, Sam Aldridge as director and performances will be given by Lizzie Houghton, who will be reading ‘The Flood’ monologue, Becky Phillips reading ‘Not So Happy Fact’ and Josie O’Gorman, Libby Martin and Ellie Best reciting ‘Trans’ among many other cast members.

With preparations well underway we can reveal that this year hat the play will not be held in its usual venue of the Nuffield theatre but in the Sugarhouse with shows on Monday 11th , Tuesday 12th and the final show on Valentine’s day its self, the 14th. On the Wednesday there will be a new fundraising event at the Sugarhouse where awareness of the play and the V Day movement will be raised.

Every year more effort is put into this event and this year is no exception, this is a play that is funny, heartbreaking and beautiful all at the same time. Crossing the boundaries between awkward,  upsetting and hilarious this play is unlike any other. Rosalia O’Reilly says, “I have never known anyone not cry the first time they have seen this play. The feeling you get the first time you see it is incredible, its such an amazing play.” So make sure you don’t miss out. This event is always fast to sell out and a wonderful cause.

Similar Posts
Latest Posts from