LUSU begins new carbon monoxide initiative

 378 total views

LUSU Housing have begun a new initiative to install carbon monoxide detectors in all properties let out by LUSU.

LUSU currently owns more than 170 properties, and whilst 40 houses have already been fitted, it is anticipated that there will be carbon monoxide detectors in all properties by the beginning of the next academic year.

Although this proposal was agreed before Christmas, news of its initiation follows a recent document put out by Lancaster City Council which emphasizes the risk of carbon monoxide.
The initiative began last September when students began to move into properties. Currently whenever repairs are needed to a LUSU-owned house a detector is automatically installed.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas which is highly toxic to humans and animals. It forms when there is not enough oxygen available to produce carbon dioxide, such as above a gas stove in an enclosed space.

Carbon monoxide effectively suffocates the body of oxygen, and less than 2% of carbon monoxide in the air can kill. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness.

Carbon monoxide detectors measure levels of carbon monoxide in the atmosphere over time and sound an alarm before levels become potentially dangerous.

, ,
Similar Posts
Latest Posts from