Indoor hockey – Full Match Reports


Disappointment for Lancaster as York win through 5-3

Lancaster men’s 1sts were sunk by four York strikes in the second half, after restricting York early on.

The match started with controversy as a York defender stopped the ball crossing the line with his foot. The following penalty flick hit the post for Lancaster. The pressure continued, and Lancaster got an early goal from Jack Keating. York leveled the score before half time, with Niko Bode scoring his first of three goals.

After the break, Lancaster netted two quick goals to make the score 3-1, but York instantly replied with two of their own to even it up once more. Lancaster’s defence broke down after that, allowing two more goals before the final whistle, meaning York took the points. Lancaster’s Lyam Hollis said afterwards, “We were beaten comfortably indoors last year; it seems to be their strength. We’re disappointed but confident about tomorrow’s game.”

Lancaster thwart York in tense 1-1 draw
Lancaster women’s 1sts secured a dramatic draw as York had three goals disallowed in the second half.

York started strongly and has Lancaster defending desperately until the nineth minute when a long-range effort broke the resistance. York continued to dominate possession, with Lancaster’s Annika Hall obdurate in defence. Lancaster’s counter-attacking style paid dividends on 12 minutes as Natalie Tyson swept home from close range, the teams going in 1-1 at half-time.

The second half provided further drama as York were denied by the officials on three occasions; on 16 minutes after a foot-fault, 27 minutes for a foul on the keeper and agonisingly with the last shot of the match for a technical violation following a short-corner. The action that surrounded these controversies was full-blooded with Katie Hurrell and Heather Cadd thundering into tackles for Lancaster. The defence held firm and the final whistle brought relief for Lancaster and a share of the spoils.

Fighting spirit earns Lancaster a 2-2 draw
Lancaster men’s 2nds came from behind twice to frustrate York and record a well earned draw.

The game started well for York, with an early goal. Jack Palmer was playing well down Lancaster’s left wing, creating a chance that lead to the equaliser for the home team. York applied more pressure, sending the Lancaster keeper diving before scoring a second moments later. Tempers began to rise on the pitch; a Lancaster goal was disallowed and the York keeper was forced into some great saves. York’s Michael Giblin made crucial blocks in defence. As the seconds ticked away, it looked like a York triumph was inevitable, but the Lancaster team fought hard in the last moments, grabbing a last minute goal to give Lancaster a share of the points.

Lancaster hammer York 5-2
Lancaster women’s 2nds secured a comprehensive win over York in the indoor hockey thanks to a double from Vicky Griffin.

The opening exchanges saw Lancaster on the backfoot and York capitalised on a short-corner to make it 0-1. In front of a vociferous crowd Vicky Griffin grabbed the equaliser after a good run. The game was played at a frenetic pace, with Lancaster adding further goals through Claire Hockaday and Legley to go into half-time 3-1 up. The lead was anything but comfortable, with York looking dangerous in possession throughout.

York started the second half with purpose and sharp work allowed Knighton to pull it back to 3-2. York piled on the pressure but both the goalkeeper and Hall defended solidly for Lancaster. The failure to equalise seemed to deflate York and with the siege weathered, Lancaster scored a double on the break, first Sacha Duchars after slick work from a short-corner and then Vicky Griffin in the dying seconds.

By Matthew Todd and Stephen Ashby

Similar Posts
Latest Posts from