498 total views
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 900g Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 450g Carrots, peeled and sliced
- *2 parsnips peeled & sliced
- 450g Stewing or braising steak, cut into small cubes
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablepoons Worcester Sauce
- Hot Water to cover – approx 750ml
- 1 beef stock cube – crumbled & dissolved in the hot water
- Pour the oil Into a large saucepan and heat until hot.
- Add your cubes of meat and brown.
- Add all the other ingredients then cover with waterwith the stock cube dissolved in it.
- Bring to the boil then to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for at 1 ½ hours.
- Taste your meat to make sure it is tender.
- Pour into an oven pie dish – if you still have more liquid than you need just put the spare in a jug.
- Allow the meat and vegetables to cool slightly then cover with a suet crust (see below) and bake in a preheated oven 200 °C/180°F/400°F/Gas 6 for 30 – 35 minutes or until pale golden brown.
To make the suet pastry…
- 225g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100g Atora shredded suet
- Approximately 180 – 200ml cold water to mix
- Spare flour for dusting
- Mix the flour, salt and suet in a large bowl.
- Gradually add water to make a pliable dough.
- Add 4 tablespoon (60ml) measures to start with, stirring continually with a table knife.
- Add another 4 tablespoons (60ml) and mix.
- Discard the knife and using dusted fingers to mix, keep adding a tablespoon at a time until you have a pliable dough.
- Knead it gently then let it rest for a few minutes.
- Roll out your pastry on a floured surface to the required shape and size.