LUMFC hit six to go top of the league


The Men’s 2nd team secured a crushing 6-2 victory against Liverpool Hope to move to the top of Northern Conference. Despite the heavy pitch, both teams put on a decent performance; although it was Lancaster who profited thanks to some clinical finishing.

An early pattern was emerging in this match, with Liverpool unable to deal with the aerial bombardment of Lancaster long throw-ins. As early as the fourth minute, Andrew Castle took advantage of uncertainty in the Liverpool area to go close.

However, it was not all one-way traffic and Liverpool may consider themselves unfortunate not to have opened the scoring. A superb block from Bill thwarted a Liverpool effort and sharp reflexes from Hannay in goal saw a header pushed onto the post.

With the cut-up playing surface making flowing football difficult it was apt that the deadlock was broken thanks to a long throw. The Liverpool keeper decided to come for the ball and got nowhere near it, allowing Creegan to tap in at the far post.

The second goal came courtesy of a bizarre piece of defending. Another Lancaster throw sailed towards the goal line, evading every player until a Liverpool defender scooped the ball clear with his hand. The hosts were not in a forgiving mood and Captain Creegan slammed home the penalty to put Lancaster 2-0 up with 25 minutes played.

Liverpool heads were down and their defence was being overrun. First Andrew Castle smashed home from a header cushioned in to his path, and another long throw in was poked home after a goalmouth scramble to make it 4-0 at half time.

The hairdryer treatment dished out to Liverpool at the break appeared to work as the early stages of the second half were much more competitive. A flurry of goals started in the 52nd minute when half time substitute Johnson tapped in to reduce the deficit after some heroic Lancaster defending.

Col Bridge restored the four goal buffer by tucking home from a yard out. Hannay then gifted Liverpool a second goal when he misjudged a long ball and Johnson doubled his tally by tapping into an empty net.

This second strike woke Lancaster up and they battled out a scrappy period against a Liverpool side who now fancied their chances. There were a few cynical fouls creeping into the game and the referee did well to maintain control over both sets of players.

As Liverpool poured forward, Creegan found more space in the centre of the Lancaster midfield and was able to break on several occasions.

The final chance for Liverpool came on 81 minutes when some neat football released their pacey striker with a clear run on goal. However, it was Hannay who would redeem himself by superbly turning the Liverpool shot over the bar, to the relief of manager Jimmy Huck.

This was to be Liverpool’s last foray into Lancaster territory, as the home side dominated the last 5 minutes. A sixth was added after a quick corner from Col Bridge was headed in at the near post. Lancaster knew that victory was theirs and closed out the last few minutes professionally, passing the Liverpool side into submission.

The excellent result means the second team have now gone seven matches without defeat and have a great chance of winning the league, with just a point required in a repeat of this game on 17th March.

Lancaster Liverpool Hope
13 Shots on target 9
5 Shots off target 6
6 Corners 6
15 Fouls 9
3 Offsides 2

Similar Posts
Latest Posts from