Football Full Match Reports


Men’s 1sts – Lancaster 3-1 York

What can be lightly described as treacherous conditions on the football pitch, ended with Lancaster completing their whitewash of York on the grass. Lancaster’s 1st Men’s team has been incredibly successful this year, winning both league and cup in the BUCS competition. There were 18 points available for all the footballing events that took place over the Roses weekend and it was essential for the first team to put their mark on the Roses competition.

After a surprising loss in the Men’s 1st’s Indoor event, the team had something to prove, and never relented in the pouring rain and worsening wind. In the first half, it was very much a war of attrition between the two sides and both came out with a goal each.

The second half was dominated by Lancaster as they regained a 2-1 lead. Showing the effective stamina, procured from intense fitness regimes, Lancaster kept running until the final whistle. A cross was picked up by the Lancaster striker and the York goalkeeper managed to block the first but was powerless to stop the rebounded finish. The game ended 3-1 to the home side, and it was no less than a professional performance by the team.

Women’s 1sts – Final score Lancaster 5-0 York

Sue Wynes put the York defence to the sword with a fantastic foursome, leading Lancaster to victory in the Women’s 1st team match on Saturday afternoon.

The opening goal came from Wynes as she ran down York’s right and slotted home to open the floodgates in what proved to be a one-sided affair. The second was the result of an in-swinging corner which was tucked away by Lancaster, leaving York’s goalkeeper with little chance.

The heavens opened which resulted in difficult conditions for the players, no problem for Wynes though as she struck the crossbar after creating an opening in the York defence.

The half-time whistle gave York some respite but Lancaster continued to dominate possession in the second half with York defending doggedly at first before three goals in the closing stages saw the result put beyond doubt.

The third came from good work in the box, a good piece of skill setting up Wynes to tuck away her second of the afternoon. Wynes was rampant and completed her hat-trick after a quick break left the York defence dazed and confused, resulting in the Lancaster striker rounding the keeper to score in spite of a slight deflection.

The fifth for Lancaster, and Wynes’ fourth came after a valiant effort from the unfortunate York goalkeeper who got a touch on the ball but could not prevent the outgoing VP (Sports) from completing the rout and sending the Lancaster fans who had stayed to brave the weather into raptures at the final whistle.

Men’s 2nds – Final score Lancaster 3-1 York

A battling performance in spite of the difficult conditions saw Lancaster come away with yet another victory in the football with a 3-1 victory in the Men’s 2nd team match on Saturday afternoon.

The opening few seconds of the match saw a frantic start, as Lancaster broke and saw a good strike saved before York cleared off the line to keep the scores level.

There was little action in the first half, and the opening goal came from a corner for Lancaster, swung over to the near post where the Lancaster captain got the last touch after a slight scramble, putting Lancaster ahead.

Half-time saw the teams regroup and try to create new battle plans for the torrential rain that was facing them in the second half.

It was Griffiths who became the star of the show scoring twice, one of which was a superb lob from outside the area, catching the goalkeeper off his line.

It was a solid result for the team that had shown so much promise this year.

Men’s 3rds – Final Score Lancaster 2-1 York

The first of the games to be played on a full Saturday of football at the pitches, Lancaster looked strong throughout the game and the score did not do justice to a stalwart performance.

The game opened with both sides calmly retaining possession and waiting to pick up on each others’ weaknesses. It was Lancaster who upped the tempo and after a corner was clumsily dealt with, lined up for a sequence of shots that needed to be blocked by sliding York defenders. After hitting the crossbar and a superb York save from the York goalkeeper, low to his right, it appeared that this might not be Lancaster’s day. However, a superb low cross was misjudged by the Goalkeeper and subsequently slid in by the approaching striker. It put Lancaster into a deserved lead and it was almost doubled moments later when the York goalkeeper again underestimated the flight of the ball, and it took a defender’s clearance to prevent the ball from bouncing over his head and into the net.

Although, York managed to equalise, Lancaster again put themselves in front with the ball scrambled over the line, as York and Lancaster players crammed into the area.

It remained 2-1 for the home side and although Lancaster might have felt aggrieved that two additional goals were ruled off for various reasons, it was an essential win that dictated the subsequent victories on the pitches.

Lancaster’s College Winners lose 4-1

After opening the scoring with a superb header at the near post from a well-placed corner, Lancaster’s Fylde College 1st team lost momentum in the rest of the game. Many of the players had played, in the previous thirds match on Saturday and appeared to be feeling the effects.

York’s team battled to a strong 4-1 victory after regaining their lead.

By Julian Surface & Steve Feekins

, , ,
Similar Posts
Latest Posts from