355 total views
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ carrot, finely grated
- 175g lean minced beef
- Approx 100ml tablespoons beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worchester sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 50g cooked peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the meat to the pan, breaking it up and stirring until brown.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients except the peas. Stir well.
- Cook slowly for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas and stir again.
The Potato Topping
- 450g boiled potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- 25g butter
- Approx 3 tablespoons milk
- 50g grated Cheddar cheese
- Mash the potatoes with a potato ricer then add all the other ingredients. The mashed potatoes should be light and fluffy.
The Cottage Pie
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/170°Fan/Gas 5
- Put the meat sauce into an oven proof dish then spread the potatoes over the top and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.