382 total views
Making a style statement does not mean wearing the most outrageous outfit you can find! In fact, being fashion-ready simply boils down to having a functional wardrobe. With Michaelmas term looming on our doorstep, it’s time for some wardrobe rehab! This treasure chest of 10 all-purpose picks will guarantee you major style points without the need for feathers, frills, or an additional student loan!
1. Whenever you buy one white tee, buy two, for this is the most humble wardrobe essential which will prove to be the perfect segue into A/W, becoming your ‘go-to’ layering piece on a frosty Monday morning.
2. A quality pair of denim jeans to your wardrobe is like sugar to your cup of tea! Invest in an uncut, mid-wash pair that are sure to stand the test of time.
3. No closet is ever complete without a black cotton cardigan – not just a fabulous layering piece, but a winter’s coat alternative if you love your chunky knits! Lazy day? Girls, chuck on your boyfriend’s, roll back the sleeves, and team with a slim tan waist belt to achieve instant slouch-cas wowness.
4. Denim is back with a vengeance, *cue celebratory dance* and with light, dark, and mid-wash styles, this versatile layering piece will not fail you in the fashion stakes. If you’re feeling brave, why not dabble with the ‘double denim’ look? Be sure to contrast your shades, though, or you’ll end up looking like JT and Brit Spears in that infamous red carpet disaster: matching outfits in head-to-toe denim … er, what were they thinking?
5. No longer confined to the territory of the sophis-male, lace-up brogues lend an unparalleled versatility to your wardrobe. Team a black patent pair with tartan and neon dogtooth to complete this season’s PUNK trend.
6. ¾ sleeves are a timeless, androgynous classic, and definitely a wardrobe must-have, proving perfect attire for those muggy autumn days. Pick one up in nautical print, a simple but oh so effective design that will boost your style factor within minutes of walking out of the door!
7. Sorry guys, but this next one is for girls only … the dungaree dress! Don’t shove summer’s fave one-piece to the back of your wardrobe this Autumn/Winter. All you need is your brogues and a pair of woolly tights to continue rocking this major fashion comeback!
8. The elegant trench is a classic amongst fashion designers. Not only is it waterproof – an essential for those rainy Lancastrian days – but the perfect coat component for assessment centres and interviews! And with its belt-tie and sharp statement collar, this pick screams style wow-factor on its very own, so you can stick to neutral, go-with-everything colours such as black, navy, and beige. It’s a win-win…win piece! Hurrah!
9. The blazer is the most hot-right-now jacket, and your wardrobe won’t be sorry for its addition! Been busting a gut over a summer-
internship or part-time job recently? Then why not treat yourself to a printed, lined blazer? Just roll back the sleeves and await the compliments to come your way!
10. And finally, scarves … the seasoning to any clothing recipe! With block colours and prints; silks, cottons, and knits, the scarf will never fail to add a warm glow to your day or evening attire.
Voila! And there you have it – a simple wardrobe collection capable of inducing style envy!