Welfare and Mental Health Resources


Moving to a new city, and for some a new country, can be incredibly difficult. Despite the move to University now being the status quo for most, the difficult reality of the big move is often overlooked. For the first time, at 18, you have to uproot yourself from friends and family to a place where you might not even know anyone, living entirely independent, learning to cook, clean and look after yourself. Though we hear the term ‘homesick’ thrown around a lot, almost anyone who has made the move to uni from their hometown will tell you that it’s normal to feel lonely, and a little disconnected, but that doesn’t make it any easier. There are a range of welfare and mental health resources available for students, and it’s important that you know how to get the support you need.

1. Students’ Union Advice Service: advice@lancastersu.co.uk

The Advice service is a free, non-judgmental, and confidential support service. The team of professional advisors can support any registered students at Lancaster University. They are an independent organisation and separate from the university; so they are best placed to provide students with impartial advice on academic, housing, and wellbeing issues; or equally, if you have an issue and don’t know who to go to LUSU Advice will be able to point you in the right direction. In partnership with the local police constabulary and Lancashire Victim Services, the Students’ Union is also an official Third-Party Hate Crime Reporting Centre.

2. Lancaster University Counselling and Mental Health Service: counselling@lancaster.ac.uk

This service is comprised of a team of qualified and professional mental health practitioners and administrators, who are members of staff at the university. Though the waiting list and availability of this service is limited, it is a good place to turn for either short-term support or an introduction into therapy and other long-term support. This includes counsellors, psychological therapists and mental health advisors, and the College Wellbeing Officers who work closely with the Colleges.

3. College Advisory Teams: (college name)cat@lancaster.ac.uk

The CAT’s job takes on a pastoral role, where students can talk about problems regarding university life, homesickness, wellbeing, and, if needed, be directed to more specialist help. This is available to all students within their own college and can be contacted at any point for support. The College Advisory Teams are not trained counsellors but will be able to offer well informed advice for issues related to the university and are able to offer alternate resources and contacts.

4. Student and Education Services

Found online with a quick search, the university has resources in the following areas, meaning students don’t have to speak to someone if that causes anxiety, or wait for a meeting/appointment to become available.

Lancaster Uni Wellbeing and Support: offers links to counselling, the disabilities services, transitions team, and chaplaincy.

Lancaster Uni Student Registry: course and study changes, assessment support, monetary advice, procedure, and international support.

Lancaster Uni Careers: finding work, careers team meetings, advice on work and careers

6. Nightline: 01524 594444

Ran by students from 10pm-8am in term time, Nightline is a completely anonymous listening and information service, though volunteers have training, they are not professionals, but can offer a confidential and non-judgemental listening ear. You can also join Nightline as a volunteer.

7.Lancaster Medical Practice: 01524 551551

For any serious medical advice, any one registered can call up for an appointment, prescription issues or any further help, or use the online referral system to get an appointment without having to speak on the phone. Appointments can often be in person or over the phone, and qualified GPs can help with a wide range of medical issues. In more urgent or emergency situations use 111, or if need be, 999.

Similar Posts
Latest Posts from