Red’s Reign Supreme in Roses Opening Ceremony

 394 total views

Lancaster University Men’s Football 1’s 3-2 York University Men’s Football 1’s

It was finally here. The day of the biggest event in the Lancaster sporting calendar; Roses. The opening ceremony saw the clash between Lancaster and York Men’s Football Clubs in a game that did not disappoint.

Lancaster started on the back foot and were subject to early waves of pressure from the away side who appeared intent on avenging their humiliating defeat from the previous year. Their persistence was finally rewarded when a pass was fired across the six-yard box, leaving York’s striker to tap in from close range. The 1s’ struggle continued as they found it difficult to keep possession and contain several threatening attacks from their White Rose rivals. One of these came in the form of a throw-in which was launched deep into a packed Lancs penalty area. Unable to clear their lines, the ball found its way to the back post and was headed into the Lancaster net. The half ended with the score 2-0 in York’s favour, and the home supporters anxious at the unusually substandard performance of an LUMFC 1s team that had so-far been unbeaten this season.

The second half was in stark contrast to the first. Lancaster came out with a new-found desire and fight, determined not to let the two thousand strong crowd down. After being awarded a corner, right back Dan Kommu whipped in a cross which was delicately flicked on by centre half Adam Wedgwood passed a helpless York goalkeeper. 2-1 and game on. Starting to look more like themselves, a surge of LUMFC goal scoring opportunities commenced. A pass from the right wing made its way to the opposing flank where Jack Barnett struck a driven half volley into the bottom corner. As the half progressed it look as if both teams would have to settle for a share of the points. This was until the 91st minute, when a final Lancaster attack saw centre midfielder Mo Touray make a bursting run into the box, and somehow stretch to lift the ball over an on-rushing keeper. After what felt like an age, the ball finally crossed to line into a vacant goal to ensure the comeback was complete. Shouts of disbelief and joy erupted from the stands and spectators poured onto the pitch. After the game could be re-started, it wasn’t long until the final whistle sounded to conclude the astonishing scenes, and red shirts were once again swarmed by adorning Lancaster fans congratulating them on their remarkable turnaround victory.

A dramatic opening ceremony, the stage was well and truly set for a great weekend of Roses action and Lancaster dominance.

Similar Posts
Latest Posts from